Try this delicious raw vegan mac and cheese dish! To get the cheesy flavor, it contains nutritional yeast, but no cashews. This recipe is dairy free and gluten free as well. And it even qualifies as paleo! It tastes pretty close to the traditional dish, but far healthier!
The sauce is gluten free, but the noodles are as well. We used zucchini noodles, or zoodles, but you can make noodles out of carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, and cucumbers. You can even use gluten-free elbow macaroni from the store, if you’re not concerned with making the entire dish raw. You can even use the sauce as an amazing cheese dip for carrot, celery, or jicama sticks.
We show all the details in our video, so please take a look at that and let us know what you think. Also, please like and subscribe while you’re there. We hope you enjoy this delicious raw vegan mac and cheese recipe! We have other recipes for you as well!
Raw Vegan Mac and CheeseCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 cup raw almonds, soaked 8-12 hours
3/4 cup almond milk
1/3 nutritional yeast
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- We decided to peel the zucchini so that it was less green and better resembled mac and cheese noodles.
- We used a spiralizer to make the zoodles curlier, sort of like elbow macaroni.
- You can use a peeler to make zoodles, too.
- To make this appear more like elbow macaroni, we chopped these curly zoodles into smaller pieces.
- Now, we need to salt them to pull some of the moisture out and soften them.
- Mix them up well, and set them aside for about 30 minutes.
- Don’t worry too much about the salt content, since we will give them a good rinse.
- Rinse them well and place the zoodles between clean towels or paper towels to help absorb more moisture.
- Wrap them up like a burrito.
- Set them aside, while you make the sauce.
- A high-speed blender like a Vitamix will work best, but you can also use a food processor.
- Blend together until very smooth.
- Be careful not to overheat the mac and cheese sauce while it processes.
- Empty the zoodles onto a plate or bowl.
- Mix the mac and cheese sauce with them well.
- Garnish with parsley, paprika, or even chives.
© 2020, Joann Loy. All rights reserved.